We will look at how thermal Imaging can be used in Power Industry to detect any faults or issues that may arise. Electric power is the lifeline in a national economic development. Power equipment becomes the key element in ensuring the success of this industry. The power equipment needs to be in good working condition as this can have an impact on the production of power energy. There are many different types of complex power equipment that is needed to work uninterrupted for 24 hours. This means there will be many different types of faults, but most of these will give off heat energy when they are in need of repair.
Thermal imaging is a new technology. It has a lot of advantages in the detection of electric power equipment running status. Thermal imaging detection of the equipment is on the basis of thermal distribution of the equipment in its running state. It has lots of advantages in detection, such as uninterrupted, non- contact,non-destructive, long distance, fast, and directly.
The thermal images will give a clear picture of current condition of the equipment and the temperature distribution. When the power equipment is in operation, the state of the heat distribution can be seen in the thermal images, this will allow the user to see if the heat distribution is normal or not. This is an important basis for judging equipment conditions, so use of thermal imaging technology to analyze the thermal images can accurately diagnose equipment running status and hidden defects.
Where can Infrared Cameras be used?
Infrared cameras are usually applied to the following monitoring and fault diagnosis of power equipment
- High voltage electrical equipment can be surveyed for faults inside and outside when in operation.
- Various conducting joint, clamp, connection and bad connection can be surveyed for oxidation corrosion defects.
- Various high-voltage switch contacts can be surveyed for exposed flaws that occur within the centre.
- Isolating Switch blade can be surveyed as the combination of contact pad and the rotating ball cap can cause bad defects.
- Overheating capacitor, coupling capacitor and the short of petroleum oil poor insulation (low oil level) defects can be shown with the use of a thermal camera survey.
- Various types of arrester moisture within the center of defects, the aging of components within the center or non-linear characteristics of mutation and the defect can be found with a thermal image survey.
- Generator State Test, brush and collector ring contact state detection, overheat detection within the centre can all be detected with a thermal imaging survey.
- Box abnormal overheating of power transformers, eddy current overheating, high and low pressure casing upper and lower ends of a bad connection can all be detected with a thermal imaging survey.
- Various types of motor bearing bad contact, and inside and outside the center of abnormal overheating can all be detected with a thermal imaging survey. .